Kony

Aka the "PC Zone"

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

gargamel

Kony

Post by gargamel »

How do people on this board feel about this issue? Obviously we can agree that the man's an asshole, but do people on here support the Invisible Children Campaign? Here are a few of the arguments I've heard for and against, without. Delving too deep into details:

FOR: This group has been successful at instigating official government actions against kony. They appear to be relatively grass-roots, including people from many walks of life and appealing to the idea of a mass movement. They are asking for volunteers to take actions (such as wheatpasting and other means of promotion) not just donate money. They are gaining huge popularity, and may be the only group with a chance of pulling this off.

AGAINST: Invisible Children has a tax record that seems shows only a small percentage of their earnings going to actual Ugandan aid. This whole facebook-oriented, made-for-tv movement has been proven ineffective by the occupiers. Kony is not the only, or even the worst war criminal in Africa. Kony has largely ceased to be a threat to the African people since the US pushed him into hiding.

What do, cmhwak?

neck_cannon

Re: Kony

Post by neck_cannon »

Personally I am against supporting invisible children, but i am into the push of kids just being "aware," unfortunately I am certain it's really just recycling/reblogging/re-whatever links that people do not even read... this goes for both sides.

Really, the kids that take actual interest in this hopefully do more research, even just a little bit more, to get into the ic company/market/brand/product and realize that there are other ways to do something, other places to donate money.

Thinking about this more, It's like there are totally too many things flying out of everywhere/nowhere to be aware of constantly, I think this has made people lazy, they're stuck with just being fed images all the time, emotions and ideas as well, so they just shoot from the hip and go with the first thing they can latch onto. I noticed that facebook arguments just turned into the side posting anti ic links stating, "you should find out more about this product they are trying to make you participate in, there are other ways to help," and the pro ic people saying, "if you think you can do any better than do it yourself." the only time i got involved was when a pro ic dude attacked one of my friends, insulting her feminist ideals, way of life, and basically outright calling her a fraud because she posted a link claiming that ic provoked further white colonialism. it's such a shit show.

if you're wondering what happened, she posted this link (while highlighting a portion of it):
http://ericswanderings.wordpress.com/20 ... seph-kony/
"One problem: It falls into the trap, the belief that the problem is ignorance and the answer is education. When we tell more people about Kony and the LRA, something WILL happen. It’s not true. Bono, Bob Geldolf, Angelina Jolie and thousands of others have brought more attention, more education, more money to issues – it doesn’t solve them. White ignorance is not the problem. White colonialism/oppression/domination/violence (whatever you want to call it) in the past and present is. It is built on the idea that Africa needs saving – that it is the White man’s burden to do so. More education does not change the systems and structures of oppression, those that need Africa to be the place of suffering and war and saving."
and he responded with:
this is such a disgusting misinterpretation. trying to spot out racial undertones in a movie aimed at helping a group of people is just ridiculous. it looks like straight media pools aimed at igniting controversies within a good cause. I don't care about invisible children, I care about the waive of humanity that's sweeping across the world right now.id rather embrace this alien concept than trying to draw out an agenda. you, an advocate of 3rd wave feminism should understand that. drawing conclusions from misinterpretations is ignorant
I basically was like, Yo dude, what the fuck? She's trying to start a discussion that is fairly interesting while you're trying to tone it down before it even starts, and high jacking THIS POST being about her as a feminist, rather than the fucking topic at hand!

Anyways, that's my only brush with Kony and his crew. If anyone wants they can PM me and let me know what's really happening and some objective, maybe subjective viewpoints. I'm interested.

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

kony is bad and not very skramz
Last edited by thisguyisalright on Fri May 04, 2012 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phil

Post by Phil »

CitizenOfUlysses wrote: Also, why Uganda and Kony? What about Liberia? What about Sierra Leone? What about South Sudan/Darfur? All places that deserve recognition and "awareness" spread about them. Why choose specifically Kony over these other problem areas that also need help in recovery and such? These are questions people really need to ask for themselves before they act. How, why, and what you think you will do ALL matter.
Because it's a fad.

People in the "first world" seem to latch on to something like this every couple months, link it around facebook, maybe text a number on their cell phone to make a donation with their daddy's money, etc., but at the end of the day none of them give a fuck. They continue to eat whoppers, drive SUVs, and whatever else it is we do here. I assume it's just some sort of subconcious guilt being expressed through feigned concern.

Not that I'm cynical, or anything.

P.S. I always love the "don't you feel bad that they don't have what you do?" thing that cute girls seem to say. Will they remember this issue in a week?
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

CDRCK

Post by CDRCK »

gargamel

Post by gargamel »

argh...its not pc but i really want to use a common coloquialism that discriminates against and demeans 9gaggers.

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDRCK

Post by CDRCK »

CitizenOfUlysses wrote:
gargamel wrote:argh...its not pc but i really want to use a common coloquialism that discriminates against and demeans 9gaggers.
do it.

people from 9gag fucking deserve it (no offense to the previous poster, the comic was kinda funnyish, but 9gag is fucking horrid)
''I approve this message''

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

great thread...FUCK IC and sorority girls repping this....such a joke