TOPSHELF RECORDS

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

topshelfsquad

Re: TOPSHELF RECORDS

Post by topshelfsquad »

erick.affinity wrote:Top Shelf... I have heard nothing but horrible things about them as people and in regards to label practices. There are a few good bands "signed" to the label, but something just rubs me the wrong way about them
Please, go on.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

ifp wrote:But, for me personally the idea of not being to work with different labels would be strange. I'm not sure if this is how the "signing" process goes with topshelf (i'm just making this assumption based on their website having an "affiliated artists" section).
Most of the bands we have worked with have done stuff and will go on to do stuff with other labels or self-release stuff in the future if they so choose. I do not understand the presumption that we lock in bands forever? I want to support and help them as best I can, not hold them hostage.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

upenya wrote:The fact that they haven't seemed to do anything really interesting with it seems lame as fuck, just running on a trend until it's ultimate demise and the rise of another [trend]. They have a handful of good bands, but I feel it doesn't say anything about the bands choosing to go with that label. Bands tend to go with whoever will take on the financial burden of putting out their record, as they should. Labels don't define a band, bands define the label, more or less, and unfortunately Topshelf seems to have a pretty clear line drawn on what they're about and what they're not, and that is being super boring and uninteresting.
What do you think this line is? I'm very interested in your opinion of what my label has pigeon-holed its roster into. I generally agree with your input. We do, however, go well beyond just taking on the financial burdens associated with production costs of putting out a record. Purely speculative, but perhaps that's why bands choose to work with us over other options they might have? Thanks for taking the time to, ya know, post things on the internet.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

David wrote:Not only does topshelf destroy bands, they never send you the shit you order and when you try to contact them they never return your calls or e-mails.
How do we destroy bands? That's a loaded statement. Dude, just email me? We respond to every order-related email we get. Definitely pretty bad at answering the phone though, sorry.
Last edited by topshelfsquad on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

topshelfsquad wrote:
brianutatx wrote:Lets talk about this label.

I've had some email conversations with Kevin, who owns the label. He seemed like a real prick over email. I've never bought anything from the label, and I feel like for every band I like that is on the label there are 5 bands that I think are complete trash. What are your feelings about topshelf?
Our only conversation we've ever had. Sorry for being such a prick, dude: http://d.pr/i/fVsb
I guess it was the lack of conversation that I received from you when I emailed you for some contact info on bands that you worked with on the East coast. I figured since I booked a few bands from your label on some sxsw shows you might be interested in helping me with contact info. Instead of helping me with a few contacts or saying something like "sorry I can't give that info" you decided to not email me back at all. I emailed you at least 2 or 3 times about this before I have up. I guess you were to busy to email me with contacts but not too busy to ask for my help? That's grade A prick behavior in my book.
Last edited by brianutatx on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

Phil wrote:The super limited vinyl things that they do really rub me the wrong way. Creating super limited variants of popular band's records to create a feeding frenzy? Not cool in my mind.

Also, they auctioned off a ton of these super limited pressings/test presses on eBay a few months ago to fund their label. Stuff like that should be considered hugely shameful for an "independent" label.
Sorry you feel that way. We create a limited variant of every release for every band — "popular" or not. I give zero fucks about the context. I do it across the board for every release. Limited variants are as much a part of collecting vinyl as anything else.

Running an independent label doesn't exactly rake in the dough, dude. An eBay auction where all the products start at $.01 isn't exactly shameful... Many of the records sold for less than they'd retail for.

Truly 0% of your statement warrants a retort from me, but I decided to address it anyway.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

brianutatx wrote:
topshelfsquad wrote:
brianutatx wrote:Lets talk about this label.

I've had some email conversations with Kevin, who owns the label. He seemed like a real prick over email. I've never bought anything from the label, and I feel like for every band I like that is on the label there are 5 bands that I think are complete trash. What are your feelings about topshelf?
Our only conversation we've ever had. Sorry for being such a prick, dude: http://d.pr/i/fVsb
I guess it was the lack of conversation that I received from you when I emailed you for some contact info on bands that you worked with on the East coast. I figured since I booked a few bands from your label on some sxsw shows you might be interested in helping me with contact info. Instead of helping me with a few contacts or saying something like sorry I can't give that info you decided to not email me back at all. I emailed you at least 2 or 3 times about this before I have up. I guess you were to busy to email me with contacts but not too busy to ask for my help? That's grade A prick behavior in my book.
I have two other subsequent emails from you which were completely good-natured and pleasant in tone and delivery — and, as you've stated, were asking for favors. I am unaware of any shows that you set up for bands we work with (not that that would be a pre-requisite to get a response), but thanks all the same, obviously.

Sorry that makes me a prick, dude. I can't properly express this without feeling douchey, but I get hundreds of emails daily. Sometimes 4-500+. I wish I was kidding. I freelance to keep the lights on and run the label in the moon light. I flag emails and try to keep track of them best I can — but the fact is, sometimes I just can't stay on top of the ones that aren't absolutely essential to running the business. As someone else who's posted in here said, running their label has strained many of their interpersonal relationships — I think this is an example of that. I have no good excuse or even kind of good enough reason for not getting back to you. But, please know, it was absolutely not meant as a slight.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

saalt wrote:My sister once met up with kevin to make a trade. When she met up with him she asked if maybe he;d like to sign some hardcore bands to change it up. He spit in her hair and screamed "this is bawstin bitch" and pushed her to the ground. when i emailed him about the incident he told me to "stop being a dumb ass hoe"

i have the emails
Finally, a credible accusation.

topshelfsquad

Post by topshelfsquad »

vavavampire wrote:Yeah, I ordered a couple of records off them and they tried making out that I never paid for them and didn't send them. Fuck them.

I would even take bridge 9 over topshelf, because at least they released consistently good records at one point, whereas topshelf has been shit apart from a few records.
Dude, what? I think there might have been a misunderstanding or something? Email me with your order confirmation ID / transaction ID / even just fwd me the email you got from paypal and I'll look into it.

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

topshelfsquad wrote:Alright. Let's have some fun with this.

i got some bad nuwz....WELCOME TO BANNED CAMP TOPSHELF RECORDS....YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST ON CMHWAK, YOU ARE THE EMBODIMENT OF FAKE SKRAMZ.