Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

CharlieBronson

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by CharlieBronson »

pygmyprieta wrote:this thread reminds me of 'the wave' back in the day. Don't get me wrong, tons of fun to dunk on. I did my fair share of tearing down bands instead of pushing for good ones. I think the internet taught us all to rip on stuff and enjoy watching people trash other people's work.

People put out stuff and that's cool! Some bands are overhyped; find the cool ones that people need to know about.

Promote the good stuff, 'yo, this isn't for me' the not-so-good stuff.
The internet also allows us to call out injustices wherever we find them.

Just like the wave and flopshelf trash these "revival" bands are just as unoriginal and just as cringey.

It's not even that those bands are overhyped its that they are bringing nothing at all new to the scene instead of writing their own riffs they steal riffs from past skramz bands and try to pass them off as their own. They steal song titles, album names & bands names from past skramz bands for their own benefit.
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

Flowersintheattic

Post by Flowersintheattic »

WE HAVE FROZEN EYES!

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

Something I’ve noticed is that people are starting to call bad metalcore bands screamo and skramz just like the early 2000’s

Things truly are cyclical in music
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

klefmop wrote:Something I’ve noticed is that people are starting to call bad metalcore bands screamo and skramz just like the early 2000’s

Things truly are cyclical in music

Hahah yes I too have picked up on that here with local bands.

Things truly are sucklical in music

1funeral2many

Post by 1funeral2many »

i agree that wmr is a core band and not a screamo band but i do think to an extent there's some "classic" screamo stuff that blurred the lines between the two, like You and I, I Have Dreams, or Upon the Right-era LLBNF since they both did their fair share of chugchugs and breakdowns. then there's those early 00's metalcore bands like skycamefalling and 7 angels 7 plagues that bordered on "emo" but never quite got there. i cant blame younger people for the getting the two genres confused when there was some overlapping in the early days.

also to that guy thats goin off about how sysc being a daughters rip off, i dont see why that should matter when daughters were a shitty usurp wannabe when they first started. i dont even like sysc but i think thats a dumb thing to get butthurt about

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

1funeral2many wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 pm
i agree that wmr is a core band and not a screamo band but i do think to an extent there's some "classic" screamo stuff that blurred the lines between the two, like You and I, I Have Dreams, or Upon the Right-era LLBNF since they both did their fair share of chugchugs and breakdowns. then there's those early 00's metalcore bands like skycamefalling and 7 angels 7 plagues that bordered on "emo" but never quite got there. i cant blame younger people for the getting the two genres confused when there was some overlapping in the early days.

also to that guy thats goin off about how sysc being a daughters rip off, i dont see why that should matter when daughters were a shitty usurp wannabe when they first started. i dont even like sysc but i think thats a dumb thing to get butthurt about
big time huge difference between you and i, i have dreams, llbnf, and wmr which is legitimately just 18 visions d-tier metalcore with a usurp namesake. there are no lines being blurred. it's truly just early 2000's metalcore

the problem lies in social media where kids just go with whatever people are saying because they're afraid to have opinions of their own. legitimately over night, magazines started calling vein screamo because they once said "yeah we like jeromes dream" and wmr the same all on the fact that they have a reference to a band within the genre and everyone's like "yup sounds good to me"

sysc is dope. not something i would sit down and listen to but i would pay money to go see them.
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

Exactly how we lost the "screamo" after it became bastardize in '02~'04 when The Used & MCR burst on the scene.

I love this thread btw! Some great analysis and takes on the genre we love so much

mp143

Post by mp143 »

I can’t get into any of these new jack bands. I’ve just been listening to iwhacyy nonstop. What happened to the mysterious skramz I know and love?